Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cats: the "other" animal .....I love!

Aloha nui loa,

I woke up with the distinct notion of mentioning, just to balance the score, my somewhat sketchy, yet, endearing relationship with cats. Yes, cats are the "other" animal.......  loved and adored by many; I believe also misunderstood. Cats remind me of how tenuous life is- possibly due to their proclivity for multiple lives!
Mysterious and aloof, playful and wise- cats have daunted me since I was a wee child. Maybe it was those huge eyes and flashing tail that first attracted and caused me to flirt with danger as a toddler- teasing cats IS not advised, at any age! No-one warned me against it, and you guessed it, I got nailed. I still have the scars to prove that I was indeed conquered, scratch marks AND a bite! I suppose it was an initiation of sorts....my interest in cats has been mixed with fear since that time, although I admire them...only one cat became a certified member of our household all these long years: Kai Bones.

Kai was a rescue cat, my kids and I found at four months, irresistible. He was holed up at a shelter in Tucson, Arizona, where we had gone to see the doggies- just to say hello, you know a visit. As we were leaving, we swang by the cat room, where lo and behold, this proud, green eyed, long haired orange tabby was sitting in his cage waiting for us! Looking into his eyes, I fell in love! He held the essence and coloring of another absent member of our family, my son Clancy, who was living in Canada at the time. Needless to say, we broke Kai out and waited the required time to claim him after his neutering. WELL...Kai the cat did not do well after his surgery, he would not eat or drink and was very skittish and freakish. After a week or patiently feeding him by hand, out of a bottle--he was still out of it and became very,very thin. Another week later, same-same! Poor Kai had lost sight of his passion to live!!!! He was literally skin and BONES. This is when I had a little talk with him,  I said, "OK kid, you decide, live or die, your choice--I can't keep you alive if you don't help out here." Apparently, he heard me. Kai came back into his body and started to eat- became a beloved pet of the family and we found out, interestingly- liked to play in WATER! He would jump into a full bathtub, play with the water while I hosed the garden and bathe in birdbaths and waterponds...what a character! Hence the name, Kai (water) Bones.

The "other" animal, cats- are the necessary element in the dog lovers world. Cats keep dogs on their toes, befriend and defy dogs, and give us that elusive, deeper quality that dogs often lack--Independence and mystery. Dogs are loyal and forever, but, when a cat loves you it may be fleeting, yet, you know you are someone very special to even have attracted their attention.

Kai Bones skipped out on us one sad day, long ago- to find another adventure, another life or another watering hole! I will always hold him near and dear to my heart for allowing us to be a part of his life.

Here's to you Kai, and all the lives you will ever live!

ALoha,

Jane

1 comment:

  1. I loved Max Christensen. He was a white himalayan cat that was sooo cute and he actually thought he was a dog. Yep, he would jump in with the dogs. He would also run really fast across the room at random times and slam right into the wall. I loved Max.

    ReplyDelete