Friday, August 27, 2010

Peter Tosh and Two Dogs: part 2

"I"ve got to pick myself upDust myself offAnd start all over again".......
......Peter Tosh 1944-1987
Aloha Nui loa,

Those of you unfamiliar with the likes of the late Peter Tosh, are missing a huge piece of this story. A piece I had to find out on my own, through a conversation with a baker at Canter's Deli on Fairfax, in L.A. I had taken Tosh out for a walk, shortly after his adoption, and decided to stop at the deli -near my eldest daughters house. I desperately needed to get a double capp. and a treat. You know how that is.... Cautiously and with some reserve I tied Tosh up to the little iron fence outside; he could see me through the window about 3ft. inside ordering: I could see him too. He was OK with it all, I was a bit nervous.

At the bakery counter, I ordered my stuff (Canter's has a huge selection) and was ready to slip back out to release Tosh, and mosey on, when the baker noticed him sitting patiently by the window and asked his name.When I told him he said, "Oh- that's cool, did you name him after Peter?" I said, "Huh?", after which he told me the short version of the tale of folk hero/martyr musician-Peter Tosh. I was touched. The puppy got a baked bagel treat on top of it too! Just for his sweet countenance during the wait out front. Nice guy. Hate to say though, Tosh preferred my soft and flaky, buttery apple danish better, so I gave him a bit. I know, I know...people food is BAD for dogs. Still, nobody has apparently told them about this......they just keep on asking for it- no matter what! Anyway......

Peter Tosh, as the baker explained, had a message and a medium with which to voice it, and like other brave young musicians of the time (70's), he died an untimely death. No not to drugs, to the gun--he was murdered. You could say he was the black people's John Lennon. I hope that doesn't sound racist! They were both willing to speak truth, and were martyred for their beliefs: "To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death"- Peter Tosh. Anyway....Wow! It was cool to find out that Tosh was named after this historical figure. Now, I felt even closer to him, knowing he represented an ideal. Oh- these poor doggies, what we put on them is sometimes too much to bear! Well, Tosh didn't seem to mind all the glory, he actually revelled in it--always walked head held high, tail up, grinning. He always made direct eye contact with the people and dogs we would meet on the street. He was always happy, always wanted to say hi--to everybody, he just exuded joy: It was contagious and everyone pretty much adored him, if they happened to have the time to look back. L.A. is a busy town, but, they do love their dogs!

Getting to know this dog, I got the feeling that he was much more than fur and teeth alone--his spirit was huge! OK, I suppose I should also point out that he was very willful, and determined to get his way. Dauchie traits! He always pulled me around like a rag- doll when we went dogwalking. The truth is, it felt more like peoplewalking, or running the marathon, going out with Tosh! We only found out later, when he was let free at the beach, that he loves to run. And man, can he run! Like a bullet. The beauty of it was, that he always came scampering back to join us (unless he was running free for toooo long). Tosh was a true free spirit. If given a taste of independence, he would take advantage and push the boundaries. It is understandable, just not tolerable! Who wants to go chasing after a little foxy dog? He acquired selective hearing as well!!!! Urgh.

Getting back to the end of part 1; When the other shoe dropped.......it had to do with just this issue, boundaries. I had assumed that getting Tosh back home with me to Maui wouldn't be a problem, the long delay had been dropped years ago, and I had heard it was much easier and painless to bring dogs over--Well, not quite! Talking with a friend on the island, she mentioned that I had been misinformed!!!! Panic, Panic and more Panic ensued. I held up my high hopes, but it didn't last long; by the end of the two weeks since bringing baby home, the bad news had been confirmed: Dogs are only allowed entry into the Hawaiian Islands after a four month quarantine--either in the home State (at home after shots) or under lock and key in Honolulu!

 My heart sank. It felt like another death, I couldn't lose Tosh, not now, not after all our adventures together, and healing! He had helped me snap out a depression that was looming large after my Mom's unexpected death. We were such great pals, he put a smile on my face just having him near and I loved him so much. I cried bitter, hot tears--it was just too sad to bear. My daughter, her husband and my husband all sat as still as stones, Tosh slept. Who was it that said, "Ignorance is bliss?" --Well, I was miserable.

To top it all off, I also felt so shamelessly irresponsible-- what had I done to this poor little dog! Why had I not checked this stuff out to begin with...I was so sure it was OK. Where would he go....it was tragic! I started to go down, deep down into another depression. My dear ol ' cranky mother had just died, one of my best friends of 20 odd years had dropped me, I was supposed to be keeping up and taking my studies in Grad school seriously, and now I was losing my sweet little Tosh. It all felt hopeless. Until.....

It was suggested, by my saving grace, and dear amazing daughter, Ivy, that they would take Tosh, and either wait it out with him in Los Angeles--or keep him, if it all felt like the right thing. Really! Yes! Really. I realized then, at that moment that their was a god after all! And, her name was IVY!  Now, tears of joy and gratitude were shed, as we made the deal of a lifetime--Tosh had a spot to be, one that he already considered home, with my family away from home, the two angels; Sean and Ivy. They too, had formed a bond with the puppy during my stay with them, and knew he was very special. Their hearts had melted watching him and his antics those few weeks. It ended up to be a perfect match. Ahhhhhh......

Now, nearly four months later, Tosh has become Buddy and has a permanent home in L.A. He is very happy with his life there, and my daughter and son-in-law are loving and spoiling him to the max! I gave him over to them, I think they all have something to give each other. It was most likely part of the grand scheme anyways. Soooo......

I now have a Grandpuppy to go visit, my first! We are still very close, Buddy and I, and.... I have permission to treat him to all kinds of no- no's when I come. So far, I have been over three times, and it is always a delight to spend time with my dear doggie friend. Although, he does favor Granma (who wouldn't)--So, when I come to stay, I try very hard not to rub it in and make anyone jealous! It's a tough job. I love that little guy so much.....

Stay tuned, part 3 --the final chapter on The Peter and Tosh saga manana!

Buddy hoping to go on the trip home w/ gran!

                                                                                                                            xoJane

No comments:

Post a Comment