Friday, August 13, 2010

From the Heart--teachings dogs share.....

Aloha nui loa,

Today I received an interesting, yet, alarming note from a facebook friend concerning my choice of topic(dogs) to blog on. He suggested that I might find a more spiritual, heartfelt topic with real meaning to spend time on! Well, I would like to answer that from my perspective: THE teaching of most importance for us humanbeings to understand and learn IS how we interact, with love and awareness towards every creature on this planet (and possibly beyond)! Personally, I cannot separate my "spiritual" life from my beliefs and actions everyday; which just so happen to include at this time, the care and devotion to my dogs and their well being. In my opinion, my relationship with animals in general, and with my dogs specifically has enhanced my capacity to love. I do feel the love they give us is extraordinary, simply because it is unconditional.

In our home, Ginger(love) is the sensitive one. She will react lovingly whenever she hears a cry of pain or anguish by running over to the victim and nuzzling, licking the wound or the face--sometimes full of tears. She stands guard until the situation is under control....I would swear she was a nurse in another time and place!
Ginger is very acute to loud voices in her environment (like shouts or yelling, arguments and even unsaid words and emotions), which has actually helped us to be more aware of  how we behave and are more kind to each other as a result. She would make a great signal dog for abusive families or couples.

All of our dogs are loving and sweet, and have shown us the incredible capacity dogs have for heartfelt symbiotic relationships--both with us and in their care and concern for each other. Temple Gradin, shows a remarkable link between the shared evolution of wolves and humans. In the last chapter of "Animals in Translation", the noted research connects our learned concern for each other and our improved hunting skills to the wolf packs that lived with early man. Now we bring home the bacon, and the wolves are now dogs who "guard the house": Yet, they have remained close to human activity, perhaps to remind us that love is
 indeed the highest teaching we can receive. Did anyone else notice the huge dog culture we live in?

So.... to my facebook friend, please--go get a dog! It will change your life for the better and your heart will open faster than any other dogma could or would.

With Aloha,

Jane
Gaze of the beloved

2 comments:

  1. i cannot imagine living without dogs.

    how do they like the Hawaii heat? we have had hot and muggy days for the last two weeks and our dogs are clamoring for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie,
    Me either! But, sadly I have at times...that is why they are so special to me now, I waited over 10 years to find this new pack of cuties.
    The heat here on Maui is muggy down closer to the ocean, which can be very hard on dogs with thick long coats. They do adapt, alot of panting in the summer!!! We live up higher(3thousand ft.)so it's cooler for our dogs.
    We love beach days though, Ginger and Mattie are avid swimmers. AND, contrary to popular belief, Hawaii does have seasons, including winter!
    Mahalo for writing,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete